(The following is extracted from a copy of the account of Dr. Henry Mandeville by his son Dorrance Kirkland (formerly
spelled Kirtland) Mandeville.)
"The first ancestor of the Rev. Dr. Henry Mandeville, the subject of this sketch,
to arrive in America was Giles 'Yellis' de Mandeville in the ship 'Faith' from Guderen in the Valeria
Guilderland, Holland, Feb. 13, 1659.
With other Huguenots, he had taken refuge in Holland from his native city Rouen, in Normandy, to avoid the persecutions to which that noble race were subjected, and which finally
culminated so disastrously upon the revocation of the edict of Nates, in the massacre on Saint Barthelew's day, October in 1630. Yelles Giles de Mandeville received a grant of land from the Dutch
Government; this was located in the town of Flatbush, King's Co., Long Island. Upon this land he settled
in the year 1659-60 with his wife Elsie Hendricks, 2 sons and 2 daughters, who came from Holland with him. A few years later, he gave this property to his eldest son,
Hendrick, and upon Dec. 5, 1679, received a grant of land from Governor Stuyvesant and which was patented to him upon Dec. 30th, 1680. He died about the year 1700, leaving two sons and four daughters.
His eldest son, Hendrick, afterward sold the Flatbush estate, removed to Pompton's Plains, New Jersey, and was the ancestor of the Mandeville family in that state. The patent of land received by Yelles Mandeville from Gov. Stuyvesant was located in Greenwich, Manhattan Island, and embraced the land between 13th St. on the south, 8th Ave. on the east, 23rd St. on the north, and the Hudson, or North River, on the west, at present an immensely valuable tract of land. A small portion of this remains to the family."